What is it and where does it come from?
Banaba (Lagerstroemia Speciosa) is a leaf bearing medicinal plant that grows in Southeast Asia and India. Banaba has been used for thousands of years in traditional medicine.
What does it do and what scientific studies give evidence to support this?
Banaba may curb appetite and cleanse the liver. Banaba contains the triterpenoid compound corosolic acid.6 Corosolic acid helps to promote the use of glucose as fuel, and promotes weight loss. Consequently, banaba is a popular ingredient in weight loss nutritional supplements.
Who needs it and what are some symptoms of deficiency?
All persons can benefit from banaba supplementation. It can improve body composition and overall health.
How much should be taken? Are there any side effects?
There are no known side effects from supplementing with banaba.
Strictly adhere to label recommendations.
2. Judy WV, Hari SP, Stogsdill WW, Judy JS, Naguib YM, Passwater R. Antidiabetic activity of a standardized extract (Glucosol) from Lagerstroemia speciosa leaves in Type II diabetics. A dose-dependence study. J Ethnopharmacol. 2003 Jul;87(1):115-7.
3. Hayashi T, Maruyama H, Kasai R, Hattori K, Takasuga S, Hazeki O, Yamasaki K, Tanaka T. Ellagitannins from Lagerstroemia speciosa as activators of glucose transport in fat cells. Planta Med. 2002 Feb;68(2):173-5.
4. Hattori K, Sukenobu N, Sasaki T, Takasuga S, Hayashi T, Kasai R, Yamasaki K, Hazeki O. Activation of insulin receptors by lagerstroemin. J Pharmacol Sci. 2003 Sep;93(1):69-73.
5. Unno T, Sugimoto A, Kakuda T. Xanthine oxidase inhibitors from the leaves of Lagerstroemia speciosa (L.) Pers. J Ethnopharmacol. 2004 Aug;93(2-3):391-5.
6. Suzuki Y, Unno T, Ushitani M, Hayashi K, Kakuda T. Antiobesity activity of extracts from Lagerstroemia speciosa L. leaves on female KK-Ay mice. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 1999 Dec;45(6):791-5.
All information presented on this website is intended to be used for educational purposes only. Any statements made have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (U.S.). These product are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any condition or disease. Please consult with your own physician or health care practitioner regarding any suggestions and recommendations made.
© 1999 - 2014 DSupp.com